The Foster Family - Jaime Samms

Book Description:

Growing up in foster care has left Kerry Grey with little self-esteem or hope for his future. A college dropout, Kerry scrapes by on a part-time job at a garden nursery. His friendship with his boss and working with the plants are the only high points in Kerry’s life. He’s been dating the man who bullied him at school, but when his boyfriend abandons him at a party, Kerry wanders down the beach to drown his sorrows in a bottle of scotch.
Malcolm Holmes and Charlie Stone have been together for fifteen years. Despite Charlie's willingness to accept Malcolm's unspoken domination in bed,something is missing from their relationship. Early one morning, they rescue a passed out Kerry from being washed away by the tide and Charlie immediately senses a kindred spirit in the lost younger man. When Kerry’s roommate kicks him out, Malcolm and Charlie invite him into their home. As Charlie and Kerry bond over Charlie’s garden, Malcolm sees Kerry may be just who they have been looking for to complete their lives. All they have to do is show Kerry, and each other, that Kerry's submissive tendencies will fit their dynamic.
But someone is sabotaging Kerry at every turn. As he struggles to discover the culprit, he fears for the safety of his new friends. If Malcolm and Charlie cannot help, their lifelong search for their perfect third may not end with the happily ever after they imagined.

Review:

If you're looking for a light hearted, by the numbers, hearts and flowers loves story this is not the book for you. It's complicated.

It's about an established couple looking for a third to help fill in the holes in  their D/s relationship. It's destine to fail.  At least, if they don't address the problems they currently have. Their chosen third brings even more unresolved issues and complications to an already difficult situation.

The Foster Family is a well thought out, nicely written story. Its an intense book. All the character's are flawed, imperfect, desperate to be accepted. At times this book left me more sad and dispirited. Characters asking each other why am I not enough? Will you eventually get tire of me and go for a newer model? Even though this book ends with a Happy Ending. Will it last? So I'm conflicted. I liked it, but I doubt I'll ever read it again.